Wednesday, February 04, 2015

White Flag

I'm about to share with you a true story... 
The names and dates have been changed to protect the innocent....


White Flag


153,420 people died that day....
And you didn't have to be one of them.

"Hey Mark, its kind of dark, go ahead get out of that tree
Come on inside now, I need a minute to speak"
The look in your eyes have an aura of peace
First time that I've seen you smile in a week
The last couple of years, you've been fighting depression
It was always a treat to see you away from the bed then
Then suddenly you awake with a triumphant grin
As if you finally had conquered all those demons within


"I want you to know that I've always been proud
Couldn't ask for more of a son than the one I have now
And as for your brothers, its been way too long..."
"You seem kind of distant mom, is there anything wrong?"
"Everything's fine," You said with a shrug
"Things aren't all that rough, I just needed a hug.
Tell your brothers and cousins about how I love them
I feel kind of beat, think that I'll just go on up then."

Then you gather your things to head off to bed
A moment to think about those last words you said
"Tell your brothers I love them" repeats in my head
"Why would you need me, when you could tell them instead?"
"Pay you no mind, I just don't feel so well,
I took a few pills, I just might sleep a spell, 
Just tell your brothers the next time that they call again."
"What pills did you take mom?"
"..... I took all of them."

"I didn't take too much, it's not all that bad
I'll probably just sleep hard, don't worry your dad,
I really must rest after the day that I've had
I'll just go to bed now, and don't you be sad."

It's amazing what goes through a twelve year old brain
The next several hours while praying in vain,
I want her beside me, but all just the same...
Who am I to deny her right to die, if she's in so much pain.
Every few minutes I'd check to see if you're breathing
Its shallow and soft.. but I don't know the meaning
Then dad comes home and I tell what you've done
"You should head to your friends, I'll take over now son."
The next day I awake to a different sun
They pumped out her stomach... but the damage is done.

20 years have passed, and I think of the lives that you've changed
People that love you, who remember your name
Because of one night you chose to break free from the pain
Because of that night, our lives won't be the same.

153,420 people died that day....
And you didn't have to be one of them
...... and I thank God that you weren't one of them.


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------


Let this be a reminder... that if you have friends or family who are battling depression. Get help. Don't just assume that it'll get better.. that things will work itself out. You might not be as lucky as we were. 


By Caleb Hendricks 10/15/14

No comments: