Saturday, August 20, 2016

Shoulders

Shoulders

A love song to the mom that bore my madness
I would have no other  mother and I thought that you should have this
Its a piece of me, I give it freely
As time passes it seems I have less
You've loved me well and gave your all
Only to have me not be there to lift you when you fall
I can see that you're struggling and you're crying for help
But it's hard to do the rescuing
When I'm drowning myself
And all that you ask is a bit of my time
But mom that's teh one thing that I can't seem to find
I need to get a mobile phone
Don't you know that I'm never home

I wasn't quite the son that I wanted to be
But I carry you with me
I carry you with me
Though we're apart your heart is still part of me
I carry it with me
Carry it with me

A love song to the son
The one that I've left behind
I give my heart, I give my soul
But I can't seem to give you time
Twentyfour hours isn't much
When you work for eighteen only to reset the grind
When there's two families to support you can't stop to rapport
Even though you're on my mind
It's true there's no excuse
There's always things that need get done
But life is hard and cash is sparse
Someone has to do it and I'm the one
And I know its easy to think that maybe I love your sister more
Because she gets to be the one to see me when I walk in that door
But I spent all of those evenings with my heart on the floor
Cause I couldn't watch you sleeping in your bed anymore
And now you have another dad
But I know what we could've had

I wasn't quite the father I wanted to be
But I carry you with me
Carry you with me
Even though we're apart your heart is still part of me
I carry it with me
Carry it with me

I'm not quite the man that I wanted to be
I carry it with me
Carry it with me
Even though I've stitched my heart
The scars are starting to bleed
I carry it with me
Carry it with me

So now I'm trying harder to be a husband and a father
And a poet and an author all in one
All this time and still I find there's too much left undone
The struggle of a muggle who wants to be the chosen one
Who's magic never lasted past the casting of the setting sun

To my loves I want to say
To all the friends I've lost along the way
To my wife and daughter and all their faith
I carry you with me

When the weight of the world brings me to my knees
I carry you with me
Carry you with me
Cause I know that there's somewhere you're thinking of me
I carry you with me...
I carry you with me

Written by 
Caleb Hendricks 8/18/16

No comments: